What To Ask a Divorce Lawyer
October 17, 2022
It’s always a good idea to know what to ask a divorce lawyer. As a collaborative divorce lawyer and family law mediator, I know many couples don’t know there are alternative divorce options and have never even heard of collaborative divorce. The idea of divorce can be overwhelming to many, but collaborative divorce makes the divorce process more efficient and easier.
Divorce can be overwhelming and exhausting. There are some important questions to ask your divorce lawyer if you are going through the divorce process or you would like information about alternative divorce options like collaborative divorce. Some important questions to ask a divorce lawyer are:
- How Often Will We Communicate? – A great divorce lawyer will tell you this varies by the complexity of the case. The more complex the case, the more the communication will likely take place. A typical case has communication between one to four times a month. A complex case that is in active, contested litigation may have communication on a more regular basis.
- Does Collaborative Divorce Really Work? – Yes, this type of divorce method does work when couples choose to openly work together with a divorce lawyer to create the best solutions for their family’s different needs. Since this process is different from other divorce processes, spouses are able to find common ground amongst themselves and make solid decisions that are best for every member in the family.
- Will I Receive Copies of Paperwork for My Case? – Your divorce lawyer should explain everything at your first visit how he or she would send you paperwork on your case. The transmittal process should be secure and up to date with today’s communication methods.
- How Does Collaborative Divorce Work? – With this method, the spouses, with the support of two collaborative attorneys, a divorce coach, and a financial neutral, sit down and take the time to address the issues special to their case and create a lasting divorce settlement without court intervention. All aspects of a divorce such as division of assets/debts, a parenting plan for children, and future financial arrangements are settled in a safe space. Transparency and integrity as two key components to the process.
- How Does Collaborative Divorce Focus On my Family and Children? – Throughout the entire process, parents are able to work together to decide what is best for their family’s needs, including how to parent their children going forward. This gives children the ability to see their parents working together without stress or fighting weighing them down. The creation of the Joint Parenting Plan is primarily done with the support of your divorce coach.
As a collaborative divorce lawyer, I have seen some really creative and through settlement agreements come from the collaborative process. During the most difficult time in their lives, couples are able to preserve their futures and come out on the other side with a path moving forward.
If you are in Overland Park, KS and want more information about collaborative divorce, contact me, Elizabeth Hill, today to schedule a consultation, or feel free to call me at (913) 381-1500 with any questions you may have. My goal as a collaborative divorce lawyer and mediator is to support you through your divorce so you become an empowered decision-maker for your family’s best interests.